In June 2023 a team of inspectors from the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) spent four consecutive days in school for a Focused Compliance and Educational Quality Inspection.
We are delighted that the Inspection Team considered Hazlegrove to be excellent in all areas of judgement.
Pupils of all abilities make excellent progress, supported and challenged to achieve their potential.
The report is divided into two sections. The first deals with formal compliance and runs through a list of regulatory requirements with a binary judgment of either ‘met’ or ‘not met’. The School met all the required standards and are thus fully compliant with all the standards relating to the Education Regulations 2014, the National Minimum Standards for Boarding, and the Early Years Foundations Stage statutory framework. No further action is required as a result of this inspection.
The second part of the report relates to the Educational Quality inspection, which judges two key outcomes, namely the achievement of the pupils and their personal development. In arriving at these judgements, the inspectors relied upon a wide range of evidence including observations of lessons, extra-curricular activities and assemblies; a wide range of interviews with pupils, staff and governors; work scrutiny; visits to boarding Houses; and the information contained within the questionnaires completed by pupils, parents and staff.
The inspectors took an extremely positive view of the School and of our pupils. For each of the two headline judgements we were given the highest possible grade of ‘Excellent’.
There are several quotes from the report that particularly resonate with the vision for Hazlegrove:
- Pupils of all abilities make excellent progress, supported and challenged to achieve their potential.
- Pupils relish opportunities to challenge themselves beyond the classroom.
- Pupils develop excellent levels of self-confidence and resilience, without any sign of brashness or arrogance.
- Pupils have an excellent awareness and appreciation of matters beyond the material.
- Pupils understand and appreciate the importance of taking responsibility for their behaviour and as a result have an excellent moral understanding.
It goes without saying that these judgements are testament to the outstanding quality of staff at Hazlegrove and of children. As a community, we are extremely proud of this report, and equally excited about the future, as we look to build on these foundations.
As ever, our children impressed all those who met them and they were great ambassadors for the School.