We place tremendous importance on the feedback we receive from parents and the wider Hazlegrove community. It is invaluable in providing endorsement and encouragement for what we do well and also in giving guidance into areas we can look to improve. In order to ensure feedback is truly representative, we survey all parents on a regular basis to allow everyone an opportunity to express their views on an anonymous basis.
Hazlegrove Parent Survey - Spring 2016
We were delighted by the number of parents participating in the latest parent survey and by the strength of their response. It was particularly pleasing to find that when compared to other similar schools participating in the survey, Hazlegrove was repeatedly in the top few schools.
To ensure that parents were able to express their honest opinions, this survey was conducted by an external company. The results were benchmarked against 56 similar schools who have completed the same survey - a process which gives us an excellent feel as to how Hazlegrove is perceived by our parents in comparison to how similar schools are perceived by their parents.
Highlights can be summarised as follows:
- 80% of parents are either completely or very satisfied with Hazlegrove (significantly exceeding the benchmark).
- 74% of parents would definitely recommend Hazlegrove to friends with another 21% who would probably recommend Hazlegrove (above the benchmark).
- Hazlegrove has exceeded or met 91% of parents' expectations (above the benchmark).
- In the performance profile, Hazlegrove exceeded the benchmark in all 7 aspects of school life surveyed and significantly exceeded the benchmark in 5 of these as follows:
* School facilities and catering
* Fundamental (includes leadership, value, class sizes and administration)
- 27 out of 28 features significantly exceeded the benchmark with the following being in the top 5 of the schools surveyed:
* Academic facilities and equipment (improved by 34% since the previous survey conducted in 2012)
* The school's state of repair and appearance
* Provision of musical opportunities
* Provision of sports opportunities
* Provision for creative and performing arts
* The development of social skills
* Support for specific learning needs
* Success at senior school entry
* Dealings with the bursary / accounts department
* Value for money
Areas of minor concern:
- Advice on the next phase of education and the way parents' evenings are conducted were both areas which fell short of the benchmark. The senior management team is looking at ways to improve these aspects and some measures have already been implemented.
- The quality of the food was also mentioned as a concern. Further research has identified this as an issue with portion sizes for older pupils rather than the quality of the food itself and this is being addressed.
When asked what the Headmaster should be careful not to change as he plans for the future, parents responded as illustrated below:
In the above diagram the larger the circle, the more parents mentioned it as a priority to retain. It is particularly pleasing for us to note that these aspects, identified by the parents, are the very things that lie at the heart of what we as a school believe in.
The conclusion from the feedback provided to the parents:
What stands out from reading the results of the survey is the value parents place on the way in which the School balances high academic standards and the more rounded development of its pupils as individuals. Indeed 81% of parents felt that the current balance between academic excellence and other pursuits and activities was about right, a higher percentage than the average for other prep schools completing this survey. It is also clear that the values and ethos, much of which stems from the child- centred, grounded nature of Hazlegrove and the way in which committed staff provide excellent support and care, is highly prized by parents not least for the obvious benefits to their children.
“Hazlegrove has been a fantastic experience for our younger daughter and she reaps the benefits of the kind, safe and nurturing environment of school every day.”
“We are extremely pleased that we chose to send our son to Hazlegrove, to date we feel he has definitely benefitted from the overall ethos, surroundings and culture at the school.”
If you would like more information about the Parent Survey please contact the Head of Admissions.
Some further feedback we would like to share with you...
Extract from a letter to the Headmaster from prospective parents after visiting Hazlegrove:
"When we began looking for a school for the boys, we both had very specific ideas about what we wanted for them. Education is not just about academia and we were determined to choose a school which placed as much emphasis on the growth and development of the individual as it did everything else.
We would like our boys to grow up knowing that anything is possible. With desire, hard work and sheer grit and determination, they can go anywhere and achieve anything. We don’t want them to fear failure. They have to develop courage to embrace it, to use it and to grow because of it. They need to develop the strength of character and enough self-confidence to know that they can be themselves at all times and they need a strong moral compass so that they can stand up for what is right. We hope they never lose their sense of wonder at the world around them and so it is our job to place them into the care of a school that can help us achieve all this and much more without placing them under any unnecessary pressure.
I wasn’t entirely sure we would be able to find a school that would be able to do all this as well as providing them with an excellent “traditional” education. Hazlegrove more than matches up to our expectations and we would be very happy for our boys to join you in due course."