The concept of Forest School was first introduced in 2010 and it has now become an established and highly popular element of the Pre-Prep curriculum.
Forest School is a unique way of building independence and self-esteem in children, through practical, hands on learning experiences in a woodland environment. At Hazlegrove we are lucky to have our own on-site woodland, which provides an ever-changing learning environment and allows children to access deep and unforgettable learning experiences.
- All our sessions are tailored to meet the needs of individuals within the group.
- Children take part in stimulating, exciting activities that become memorable to them.
- Children learn to recognise and assess risk for themselves, helping to prepare them for the future with life-long skills.
- Sessions go ahead in all weather conditions (apart from strong winds) encouraging children to experience the outdoors in every way. "There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes."
Forest School is being increasingly recognised as a professional and creative approach to safe and effective outdoor learning. The benefits have been shown to include:
- Increased sense of responsibility
- Increased self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improved social skills
- The development of language and communication skills
- Improved physical motor skills
- Improved motivation and concentration
- Increased knowledge and understanding of the World / environment
Activities may be subtly linked to the curriculum, allowing children to gain an understanding of subjects through a more practical, hands-on approach. They can then take these experiences with them back to the class room, creating a ripple effect within their learning.
Forest School allows for a flexible approach to learning that accommodates a range of learning styles, such as kinaesthetic, linguistic, interpersonal, mathematical and visual.
In the past, children used to be able to experience a sense of freedom which then influenced their lifelong learning. With the introduction of the Forest School at Hazlegrove, children are being given new opportunities to experience that freedom now.
Do please scroll through the pictures below or click here to see the photo album in Flickr (recommended)